EFT Emotional Freedom Technique
What is EFT ? How do I use EFT ? Is EFT really effective ?
Emotional Freedom Technique, also known as EFT is a self help technique combining tapping on specific points of the Chinese Medicine Meridians (used widely in acupuncture) while focussing on the problem or issue at hand and repeating specific sentences tailored to the problem which aim to neutralize its effects. The type of sentences used are tailored to the issue and include principles of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) as well as Thought Field Therapy.
It is not yet known exactly why this technique works but I have found it very effective with most of my clients. It is a technique you can use at home whenever you want and I use it as a very powerful adjunct to my other specialities. Before you do anything else you need to know which ones are the points to tap and in what order:
KC : Karate Chop
AE : Above the eye
SE: Side of the eye
UE: Under the eye
UN: Under the nose
UA: Under the arm
TH: Top of the head
There are also other points that you can tap but the above are the main ones.For a detailed video of where and how to tap watch the video below.
Here’s a detailed description on what to do:
- Focus on an issue / problem you want to resolve or a feeling of discomfort you want to overcome. ie. obsessive jealousy, insecurity, obsessive anxiety
- Measure on a subjective scale from 1 to 10 how intensely you feel about the issue or how intense the discomfort / pain is.
- Begin by tapping on the Karate Chop point and say 3 times: “Even though…. (the problem) I deeply and completely accept myself as I am” i.e. KC: Even though I am obsessively anxious and worried about my boyfriend I deeply and completely accept myself as I am
- Now focus on the issue / pain / problem / discomfort and tap on the remaining points while saying how the problem makes you feel. i.e. AE: I feel so anxious about my boyfriend going out when Im not around, SE: I am worried he will find another woman UE: I am not good enough to be loved UN: he’ll find another woman and leave me CH: I am so scared of being alone CB: I cannot live without him UA: I’m so scared of being abandoned TH: Ill never find anyone else (do this until you feel you have fully explored the negative feelings associated with the issue. If need be go back to the start and repeat the cycle using the same or similar sentences until you are satisfied)
- Now focus on the solution of the issue / problem discomfort and tap on the points again using positive sentences that neutralize the negative ones and emphasize choice. Ie. AE I choose to release this anxiety. SE: I choose to trust everything will be ok UE: I am lovable and I deserve love UN: I love myself and I am loved CH: I ask source energy to heal me CB: I want to let go of this worry and anxiety UA: I forgive myself and my past loves for all the pain caused TH: I choose to allow myself to start letting go of this obsession (again, feel free to go round several times, until you find words that work for you. Remember that what matters is not the words in themselves but the intention behind them
- Repeat step 4 and 5 until you feel you’ve worked through something
- Take a deep breath
- Measure on a scale of 1 to 10 how intense the feeling is now.
- Repeat the exercise until you reach 0 or a number that satisfies you.
If you do not feel you’re going down chances are you are resisting this technique. Do you feel silly tapping ? Tap on your resistance and you’ll find out what bothers you i.e. KC ‘Even though I feel silly tapping and this is stupid I deeply and completely accept myself’ etc
Remember the most important thing is the intention behind the words. Feel the words, don’t just say them. Believe them and make them yours.
Another example about insomnia:
- i.e. KC: Even though I am obsessively anxious and worried about not sleeping I deeply and completely accept myself as I am anyway
- i.e. AE: I feel so anxious about not sleeping, SE: I am worried I ‘ll never be able to sleep UE: I hate going to bed at night in case I don’t sleep UN: what if I can’t sleep ever again? CH: I am so scared of how tired Ill be tomorrow CB: I am so frustrated and angry about this UA: it’s not fair ! Why me? TH:I am too tired to deal with this!
- Ie. AE I choose to release this anxiety. SE: I choose to trust everything will be ok UE: I choose to relax and let go of this obsession UN: I begin to let go of this worry CH: I ask source energy to heal me CB: I need help letting go of this frustration and anger UA: I forgive myself and my body for putting me through this TH: I choose to allow myself to stop caring so much about sleeping so I can relax
If you do not feel confident using this technique on your own I can help you by giving you a demonstration and guiding you through it on one of our sessions together. Afterwards I can provide you with a recording to use at home until you become familiar with it.
In addition to this I will provide you with audio recordings and worksheets if necessary in order for you to get a grip of what to say to resolve your specific issue. I have used this technique very effectively for clients with insomnia as well as anxiety.
About the Author
Elisa Di Napoli is a Holistic Clinical Hypnotherapist, NLP Practitioner and Coach. She combines Positive Psychology, Eastern Philosophy, NLP, Hypnosis and Coaching with a holistic approach to shorten your path to better living. She aims to facilitate self change by aiding you in your personal evolution so you may empower yourself to fulfil your true potential.